Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3
Phone: 416 736 2100 x44298
Fax: 416 736 5872
aan at cse dot yorku dot ca
I obtained my Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the
University of Regina.
From 1997 to 2001, I worked at the Department of
Computer Science of the University of Waterloo first as a post-doctoral fellow and later
as a research assistant professor. I joined the Department
of Computer Science (now named Department of Electrical Engineering
and Computer Science) of York University in July 2001.
- Areas of interest: data mining, machine learning, natural language
processing, and artificial intelligence.
- Current Research Projects
- Knowledge-based Neural Question Generation from Text, collaborated with iNAGO Corp. and supported by an NSERC Alliance grant and fund from iNAGO.
- Optimizing data migration and performance of target systems, collaborated with IBM Cloud and funded by IBM CAS.
- GPU Job Scheduling Using Deep Reinforcement Learning, collaborated with IBM Spectrum Computing and funded by IBM CAS.
- Improving Automatic Question Generation from Automotive Manuals for Building Conversational Systems, funded by an OCI TalentEdge grant and iNAGO Corp.
- Adaptive Online Mining of Big Data Streams, funded by NSERC Discovery Grant and NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement.
- Previous Research Projects
- Research Training Programs
I am teaching EECS4412 (Data Mining) and EECS6412 (Data Mining)
- NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (DAS) Award, 2014, 2019.
- Research Leaders Award, York University, 2015.
- The Mildred Baptist Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Computer
Science and Engineering, York University, 2009.
- Merit Awards, York University. (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Best Paper Award at the Thirteenth Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI'00).
Professional Service to Academia
- Journal Editorial Service
- Conference Organizations
- Service on Conference Program Committees
- SIGKDD'07, SIGKDD'08, SIGKDD'10, SIGKDD'11, SIGKDD'13, SIGKDD'14, SIGKDD'15, SIGKDD'16, SIGKDD'18 SIGKDD'19, SIGKDD'20, SIGKDD'21, SIGKDD'22, SIGKDD'23
- VLDB'15, SIGMOD'16, VLDB'18, ICDE'19,
- IJCAI'18, AAAI'19, AAAI'20, AAAI'21, AAAI,22, AAAI,23, AAAI'24
- ICDM'06, ICDM'07, ICDM'09, ICDM'10, ICDM'11, ICDM'12, ICDM'13, ICDM'15, ICDM'16, ICDM'17, ICDM'18, ICDM'19, ICDM'20, ICDM'21, ICDM'22, ICDM'23
- SDM'11, SDM'12, SDM'16, SDM'19(SPC), SDM'20(SPC), SDM'21(SPC), SDM'22(SPC), SDM'23(SPC)
- CIKM'08, CIKM'09, CIKM'10, CIKM'11, CIKM'16, CIKM'17, CIKM'22(SPC), CIKM'23(SPC)
- ECML/PKDD'06, ECML/PKDD'11, ECML/PKDD'14,
ECML/PKDD'15, ECML/PKDD'16, ECML/PKDD'17, ECML/PKDD'18, ECML/PKDD'19.
- PAKDD'07, PAKDD'08, PAKDD'09, PAKDD'11, PAKDD'14, PAKDD'15, PAKDD'16, PAKDD'17, PAKDD'18
- BIBM'07, BIBM'08, BIBM'09, BIBM'11, BIBM'12, BIBM'13
- ISMIS'06, ISMIS'09, ISMIS'12, ISMIS'14
- Canadian AI'10, AI'11, AI'13
- ASONAM'09, ASONAM'10, ASONAM'13, ASONAM'14
- IEEE GrC'06, GrC'07, GrC'08, GrC'09
- ADMA'11, ADMA'12
- ICTAI'11, ICTAI'12