Publications & Lectures
- New methods for Hamiltonian lattice spin systems
Physical Review D21, 1557, (1980),
- Finite lattice approach to the O(2), O(3) and Z(2) models
Physical Review D21, 3341, (1980),
- The phase structure of the Z(q) Potts models
Physical Review B23, 1357, (1981),
- Toward an automated academic advising system
KAAU report 1403 (1983)
- Design & implementation of a bilingual database
KAAU report 1406 (1985)
- Handling right-to-left languages
Proceeding of the 10th National Computing Conference, Jeddah, 707 (1987)
- Handling Diacritics: Input, output and processing
Proceeding of the 11th National Computing Conference, Dhahran (1988)
- Assembly Language Programming for the iAPX family
A textbook (Sept. 1989)
- A graph theoretic approach to the brachistochrone problem
Computers in Physics, 303, May/June (1990)
- A fast parallel algorithm for global tree balancing
KAAU technical report 1412 (1990)
- The Communication Super highway in Construction
Toronto Construction Association (TCN), 17, March/April (1994)
- The Java Seminars
Lecture Notes for a department-wide transition from Pascal/Turing/C++ to Java (1998)
- A New Platform for COSC1540
The final report of a Teaching Development Grant, York University
- Computer Science Introductory Handbook
Used to introduce incoming students to the Unix environment and the
basics of object oriented programming. (1999 to 2003)
- The Monitor Guide
or monitors of
departmental labs (1998, revised in 2002).
(The York Programming Environment).
A site dedicated to standardised pedagogical tools for learning how to
- "Design Guidelines for the Lab Component of Objects-First
Published in the proceedings of the 33rd ACM SIGCSE
technical symposium on Computer Science Education, pp 222, 2002.
Presented in Cincinnati, OH.
A comprehensive site on Fortran and the SLATEC library. Includes software downloads, resources,
and a set of labs.
Published in June 2003.
- "A Guided Tour of Unix"
A hand-on introduction to the Unix/Linux environment @CSE. Intended for newcomers to
the department including CSE1020 and transfer students, grads, and new faculty.
Published in July 2004.
- "Verimips: A Lab Handbook on Assembly and Hardware Design Languages"
A series of labs on MIPS and Verilog.
Published in Aug. 2004.
- "Java By Abstraction"
Published by Pearson Education
Canada, Addison-Wesley (2005).
Link and press
- "We Don't Need Arrays"
Presented at the 7th
ACSE conference (2005).
- "Practice What You Preach"
Published in the proceedings of the 37th ACM SIGCSE
technical symposium on Computer Science Education, pp 491, 2006. Presented in
- "Separation of Concerns in CS1/CS2"
Presented at the York/CSE Seminars, March 24, 2006.
- "The ePost System"
A Secure Web-Based Grade Posting System for CSE@York. The latest version supports
impersonation, http authentication over SSL, and automatic production of
the course performance summary forms.
- "The Science in Computer Science: A Journey Through
Presented at the Royal Canadian Institute, Macleod Auditorium, Medical
Sciences Building, University of Toronto on Sun Oct. 28, 2007.
Link and press